I have just finished effecting repairs to my Logitech G7 mouse. Over the past few months, it has been experiencing a “double-click” problem common to this mouse, which, according to this guide, is due to the microswitch losing its spring tension.
This is my second G7 mouse. Years ago, my first G7 had experienced the same problem, and I had attempted to remove the microswitch altogether and replace it with the right-click microswitch. I had figured that a sporadic double-right-click would be a lot less problematic than a sporadic double-left-click. Unfortunately, this process ended disasterously, as I was never able to remove the upper board within the mouse to access the solder points for the microswitch. My attempts caused some irreparable damage to the mouse, as it never powered back on when I tried reassembling it. On the plus side, I saved all components, should I ever have a need for them in any future repair attempts of any future G7 mice.
To repair my current G7 mouse, I followed this guide, which describes how to restore tension to the microswitch spring. Two things this guide did not accurately explain is how to remove the copper component from the cradle, and how to reattach it after adjusting the tension. I include my notes on my experiences here, should they be useful to other people, or to myself in any future attempts to repair my mouse.
When removing the leaf spring, I found that it did not simply pop up by applying pressure under the curved part. Perhaps my microswitch was not as far gone, and so it still held sufficient tension to make this removal process difficult. By closely inspecting how the leaf spring was installed, I noticed that there was some tension between the curved part and the “front” (the part closest to the button actuator). I gently pulled forward on the leaf spring, applying more tension to the bent part, until the front was unhooked. From here, the spring could be removed.
When installing the modified leaf spring, it took some trial and error. Thanks to my previously killed G7, I had a few spare microswitches to experiment on, as well as a view of a properly installed leaf spring (the right mouse button on the dead G7 was intact, and never had any problems). Using these as a guide and testing ground, I found that the best trick to reinstall the leaf spring is as follows.
First, slide the rear part of the spring between the pincer-like holder at the back of the microswitch. Gently push down on the curved part with a razor blade until the curve rests in the proper position, and there is a slight tension on the leaf spring, trying to push it toward the back. Next, insert the razor blade along the “right” side of the front hole in the leaf spring (as viewed from the front of the microswitch), and pull the spring forward until the front of the leaf spring engages with the holder. The entire spring should be securely mounted, and when the microswitch cover is installed, it should make a nice, loud clicking sound.
The Teflon pads were not damaged during the removal process, and luckily they had enough stickiness to attach back where they belong. In case I ever need to open this mouse again, I have only installed the single screw located below where the sticker used to reside. I decided to completely remove the sticker to minimize any problems with remnants bunching up and such, and I came across seven holes in the chassis corresponding to what appears to be seven contact points. I wonder if this is some discrete port Logitech put in so the mouse can be connected to some dock to receive software updates or instructions or something.
With my mouse rebuilt, I can hear a more prominent clicking sound from the left mouse button compared to the right. I have yet to test the mouse for an extended duration, but it seems like the double-clicking problem is gone.